Valithria Dreamwalker

Heelbot
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hubris vs Valithria Dreamwalker

Our first attempt on this boss was kind of lack luster, and I blame myself mostly for that.  The next tries will be better organized, and hopefully have a more useful raid composition.

Will try to create a raid with 6-7 healers (hopefully 7), and this will help with the huge amount of aoe from the fire adds that was simply rocking us with only 5 healers.  Having extra healers will also let us use the portals more effectively, and I’ll get to that later.

First, the adds.

Risen Archmage:  These guys are standing out there to start the fight, and also spawn in during the fight.  They cast a frostbolt volley that our melee dps is going to hate (it also has a mana drain component), but it also has a 2 second cast… so interrupt it whenever you can to lower these adds damage and slowing effect.  This is actually kind of priority for those that have low cd interrupt abilities.  Their other 2 abilities are instant cast, but equally nasty.  One will put a glowing blue ring on the ground.  If you don’t get the hell out of the ring, it’s going to hit you for a fair amount of damage, and then rocket you into the air to fall for more damage.  The other ability is a mana void zone that slows your movement.  This will drain your mana at a rate of 1k/second… so get the hell out of it fast.  Keep an eye on the ground beneath you for the blue ring, or the void zone.

Blazing Skeleton:  Look like skeleton casters.  The aoe fire spell, Lay Waste, is what we have to worry about with these guys.  According to my collected data, they will generally wait 20 seconds after spawning to cast this ability.  It is channeled for 12 seconds, and can’t be interrupted.  Killing blazing skeletons right away, therefore, is #1 dps priority.  They also cast a fireball.

Suppressor: Geist looking adds.  They run to the boss and start to channel their stacking mortal strike on the boss.  They have high priority, and need to die quickly.   They tend to group up, so hopefully we can quickly aoe them down between killing other adds.

Blistering Zombies:  Melee swings stack a debuff that causes a dot and armor reduction.  Important ability is their near death explosion, that all melee need to be aware of.  When a blistering zombie is getting low health, just get away from it and let the ranged finish it off.  The cast time of the aoe explosion is less then a second, so you won’t have time to react and get out.  The aoe is also 15 yards, so ranged and healers need to make sure they are keeping their distance from these guys, and the tanks need to make sure they keep them put.

Gluttonous Abomination:  Gut sprays their tank (who will be facing the abom away from the raid).  This is a debuff that can be dispelled.  When an abom is close to death, it’s not a bad idea to lay a frost trap at its feet to slow the rot worms that start to hop out of the corpse.  They take a moment to fully spawn, but then should be aoed down.  They are low health, but high damage, and will rock a healer if they get to one.

As for raid positioning, I’m still not 100% behind splitting the raid into two parts.  I’m going to go with a middle ground for this, by just splitting the melee into two parts, and having the ranged switch back and forth between the two sides depending on priority.  We’re going to go with this priority if we have 7 healers to work with

1. Blazing Skeletons
2. Suppressors
3. Risen Archmages
4. Blistering Zombies
5. Gluttonous Abomination – Rotworms (Never kill an abom without finishing off its spawning rootworms)

We’ll have a tank on either side, and this tank will have to be watching both doors at all times to gain agro on whatever is coming out of them. (except suppressors).  Depending on what adds come out, ranged will be switching from side to side.  We CANT have an add coming out and one shotting a healer, so its important for healers to stick with the tanks unless they are getting ready to hop in a portal.

Melee classes with interrupts, there will be a few of you that will be assigned to stick to archmages whenever there is one active to interrupt its cast. (Unless its being tanked by a warrior who should be able to take care of that on his own)

SIX portals will start to spawn every 35 seconds or so.  We will specify specific healers to use these portals each time they appear.  (It will not be all of the healers, because upon entering the nightmare realm, you are stuck there for 20 seconds).  So, assuming we’re using 7 healers, at least 3 should be able to enter the portals and be gone for 20 seconds while the remaining healers stay behind to heal the boss and the raid.  Each of these healers will run to a forming portal, just so they are ready to jump in right away.  Ranged dps who will be near the portals anyways, if you see an unused portal, feel free to stand on it.  Not sending 6 people into the realm each portal phase is like wasting an awesome buff.  Once inside the realm, there are clouds of gas.  If you are a bit late getting in, just try to follow someone else who is flying around (yes, you fly).  Whenever ANYONE passes through a cloud, anyone within 10 yards will get a stack of the buff.  This buff increases healing AND damage by 10% per stack along with the mana regen, and can stack up to 100… So the more everyone gets the better.  Don’t go around trying to steal too many of them, because the more people that are grouped up when they are collected the better.  If aerial movement wasn’t so hard to coordinate, it would be awesome for everyone to just follow each other through the air and get the max number of buffs.  Here’s the big trick for the healers when it comes to this phase… After being in that phased out realm for 20 seconds, you will pop back into the “real” fight.  The buff lasts for 35 seconds, and resets upon each additional stack added… so if you’re really on the ball, you can collect a gas cloud just before you get phased out.  Then on the next portal phase, you could jump into a portal, and grab a new cloud quickly, and stack your buff even higher… its completely possible to start working yourself up to around 100-200% additional healing or damage.  This will help with healing the boss, and it will help with burning down the adds high on priority as well.  Just be aware of this portal mechanic, and be ready to try and use it.  Without this bonus healing, the fight isn’t possible to complete before the room is overrun with adds.

The longer it takes to heal the boss to full, the quicker the adds come, and the more that come, to the point that the room will become overwhelmed.  This is the soft enrage for the encounter.  Getting the boss to full health ends the fight, and she aoes all remaining adds down.

Best use of Heroism:  Immediately after the first group of portal users pops back into the room.  There should be the least amount of adds and the least amount of raid damage to deal with, and it will let those healers with the +% in healing get a lot of work done on the boss. It will also give the dps that pops out a chance to help destroy all ads left in the room.

Interesting Targeting Macro that fits into the general idea of what we want dead first.  Seeing as how I’m hoping the Suppressors will die from peripheral and aoe damage, I’m not sure they need to be on this macro.. haven’t tested this macro.  Someone wants to mess with it let me know if it works. (It should basically target the first thing in the list it finds)

*Update*  Changed some of the wording, and was told this macro works just fine.  Using one button to instantly select something in this crazy fight will be helpful.  If your job is slightly different, feel free to update this priority list.. (If you can interrupt, the Risen might be higher on your list then suppressors for expample)

*******MACRO*******
*******MACRO*******

/cleartarget
/target Blazing
/stopmacro [nodead, harm]
/target Suppress
/stopmacro [nodead, harm]
/target Risen
/stopmacro [nodead, harm]
/target Blistering
/stopmacro [nodead, harm]
/target Gluttonous
/stopmacro [nodead, harm]

*******MACRO*******
*******MACRO*******

Portals:  The boss emotes that she is starting to create portals.  When she does this, green lines come out of the boss and link to a glowing green ball on the floor.  This is going to be where the portal will form in about 8 seconds or so.  Each portal will despawn once it is used, so if you are supposed to be going into a portal, find a green orb that no one else is standing on, and as soon as the portal spawns, click it and hurry up and start getting your buffs. (Remember you fly inside of the phased room just like you’re on a flying mount.  It is also my understanding that you will appear in the room on the ground below where you are in the dream… this is something that we’ll need to prove/disprove.. just to make sure, you don’t want to end up too far from your normal raid position.)

***Edit***

Its been confirmed to me that stacking the nightmare buff is the way to go.  Our next attempt will hopefully see our 3 holy paladins hopping into each portal, and building up high stacks without the previous wear off.  100k crits and 20k HPS are the goal as you come into the final stretch of the fight for the paladins.  With a beacon on her, and spam healing the raid (mana will not be an issue for the paladins), that should be all we need to make the fight simple... just have to live through a few portal phases while the paladins build up the buff. (With at least 3 healers on the outside at all times keeping the raid topped off)

Re: Valithria Dreamwalker

Heelbot
Administrator
*bump* read this damned strat please... would rather have people asking me specific questions, not the broad stroke type questions that are easily answered here, and in all these strat write ups.

Re: Valithria Dreamwalker

Megafist
Yeah... if Pally's get that buff stacked to 100-200% they can beacon the dragon and be flash healing people o whole with one flash almost.

Re: Valithria Dreamwalker

Heelbot
Administrator
Now that we seem to have the priority down, and the paladins are getting better at keeping their stacks of the buff from falling off, we are still having trouble.. and i think this comes down to positioning.

This is not a fight where you can stay packed up together.  This is also a fight where different targets come from 4 different locations.  We are splitting up the melee in an effort to minimize the distance that they have to run to kill their targets.  Its just as important for the ranged to position themselves in such a way as to be able to easily target any of the 4 possible targets. (Or at least minimize movement to do so). And i am guilty of what the healers shouldn't be doing, and that is standing out in front of either of the doors.  This was partly due to other people's position, but was mostly due to my being a dumb ass.  Healers need to stand in such a way that the adds will have to pass by tanks to get to us.  If we fail to do this, we end up with adds in the group  (Like zombies and risen archmages... who can one shot a healer with a melee hit)

Here is a crappy picture of the room.  If we set this up correctly, the need for 3 tanks does not exist. (I would rather not use a 3rd tank, because i think its a waste when two should be able to handle the job just fine). We just can't have extra adds on healers.  We also can't have our dps pulling threat on recently spawned adds.  The tanks have a hard job here.  GIVE THEM SOME TIME TO ESTABLISH THREAT.  Healers not going into the portal don't have the mana to heal your dumb ass if you pull threat on something not being tanked.

Melee:  You need to worry about 2 things when it comes to position.  1.  Don't stand in front of aboms. EVER.  Gutspill is an aoe cone attack, and will rock you.  The tank may need to move to pick up new adds, but will always be trying to keep the aboms facing towards the wall. If they can get away with it, with backs to the walls, picking up adds as they come out of the doors in a beeline towards the healers.  As long as the healers are where they should be, the adds should move right by the tanks, or at least always in the tanks line of vision.  Its not crucial to pick them up in the doorways, just crucial to pick them before they hit a healer.  Its also up to the dps to pay attention to when an add gets picked up, so they don't do a dumb thing like pulling threat.  Melee that can interrupt NEED to pay attention to risen archmages over suppressers.

Ranged:  I will break the ranged up into two groups, but this will only determine which side of the boss you stand on.  All ranged will still adhere to the priority list, your side will just determine where you stand to help keep the aoe's spread out, and it will determine which suppressor group you help kill.  You will always be within range, or at least close enough to be in range without moving much to any gateway.  If a Blazing Skeleton spawns, you had better be ready to fire upon it immediately.  Staying along the boss will also keep the ranged (hopefully) out of the aoe explosions of the Blistering Zombies.  Finding your own sweet spot is really up to you, but no one will wander off to an obscure part of the room.  We will keep ourselves organized in where we stand, so we always know where adds are going to go.  Healers will be split up, and will mix themselves in with the ranged on either side of the boss.

Re: Valithria Dreamwalker

Daxenos
I found it extremely useful to marry the target macro to an easily spammable key (mine is "c"); that way, as I'm dpsing the current priority, I can spam the button to get a higher priority add, if it exists.

Re: Valithria Dreamwalker

Megafist
Another thing...

I dont think people, sometimes myself included, are paying attention to where the exploding zombies are when they die.  I've seen it blow up in the middle of the healer/ranged group more than once.  Those guys need to be out of the groups.